18s primers for Marteilia sp.

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Mon Oct 2 22:58:38 EST 1995

In article <44ocdk$r4t at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> fberthe at ifremer.fr (Franck Berthe, DRV RA GAP, 46.36.30.07) writes:
>Hi netters,
>
>in order to sequence a part of this gene, I am looking for PCR primers that
>could amplify 18srRNA gene from Marteilia sp., a Protozoa : Acetospora, flat
>oyster (Ostrea edulis) parasite.=20

I would welcome this additional knowledge having worked on the
haplosporidians.  However, the answer to your question is thus:
if you have pure Marteliid DNA then the Medlin primers will work
(try throwing in some DMSO though).
if you do not have pure DNA and are trying to amplify from a mixed
batch of parasite and oyster DNA forget it.  The regions that are variable
enough to allow amplification of the parasite and not the host are likely
to be so species specific (as we have found in our haplo work) such
that one would need to know the sequence a priori.  That is to say, you
really need to get pure Martelia DNA.

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062