[Toxicology] How to decide in vivo & in vitro drug concentrations for preclinical toxicology?

Quin Quin_Wills at msn.com
Fri Jul 29 09:28:08 EST 2005

I'm doing a bit of research into pre-clinical toxicology methods. Could
anybody help me out or point me towards a source of info? The question
on my mind is - once those in drug discovery/development have a lead
and want to assess its toxicity, how do they decide what are the
high/medium/low doses to administer to the animals? Surely there must
be some kind of rule of thumb? What about in vitro assays? Is there a
rule of thumb that says, for example "x concentration of drug in a
primary hepatocyte assay is approx. equivalent to administering x
amount of the drug to the animal equivalent"? Should one try and match
in vitro concentrations with in vivo blood concentrations? I'm trying
to get a feel for how this is all done.