Ebola: the movie:labjokes

Fred Bacon fwbacon at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 13 20:53:43 EST 1995

In article <m0ryx1O-000CxUC at uctmail2.uct.ac.za>, ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za wrote:

> > From:          west at freenet1.scri.fsu.edu (Jason West)
> > @rockvax.rockefeller.edu wrote:
> > : In article <3lp2nd$g4e at netnews.upenn.edu>, smoore at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
> > : (Sean David Moore) wrote:
> >
> > : > On occasion we get WWIII going in the lab.  Someone tosses a tip,
someone
> > : Ah, but haven't lived (died?) till you've had a full-scale battle with
> > Or how about a dry ice loaded mirofuge launched from the end of a 20ml

Oh, man, you gotta try this one.  I used to manage the Physics Lecture
Demonstration Office at the University of Texas.  One of our favorite
jokes was to put an inch or so of liquid nitrogen into one of those 20
ounce plastic soda bottles, cap it off tightly and drop it into a metal
trash can filled with an inch or two of water...then run like hell.
(Actually, it takes a minute or so to go off.)  The amazing thing is that
the concussion causes the trash can to leap four or five feet into the
air!  Better not do it in the lab, but it's a great way to wake up a
classroom.

Fred Bacon