Coexistence of lambda sensitive and resistant cells???

Arul Jayaraman arul at design.eng.uci.edu
Mon Apr 24 17:37:16 EST 1995

Hi
I am working on temperature induction of lambda (infection) in E.coli. My
preliminary results show that 99.9% of the host cells lose their
viability after 3-4 hours of induction.  Since the spontaneous frequency
of mutation is approximately 10^-8 and lambda sensitive cells do not grow
during infection, we suspect that lambda resistant mutants dominate the
culture after the induction.  We do not know what fraction of the
population becomes resistant to infection. What type of criterion is
required for the co-existence of lambda resistant and sensitive cells?
The sensitive cells are less healthy than the resistant cells and in a
continuous culture, at a given dilution rate, most of the sensitive cells
get washed out of the fermentor. We need to opearte at a particular flow
rate so that both states can coexist. I would greatly appreciate it if
anybody can provide me with a reference or advice on this issue. Please
post on the net or send mail to arul at design.eng.uci.edu
Thanks
Arul
ARUL JAYARAMAN
DEPT. OF CHEMICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT IRVINE
IRVINE, CA 92715
Email: arul at design.eng.uci.edu