Ecology of Marine Viruses

bogleb aguldo at delphi.com
Tue Jul 4 04:46:09 EST 1995

James C. Harrison <hexis at netcom.com> writes:

>Can anybody direct me to good books or papers on viruses found in sea
>water. I'm especially interested in finding an ecological take on the
>role and importance of viruses in the Ocean. I've scrounged some
>bibliographies without much success.

	This doesn't really answer your question, but I was floored when
I read this quote earlier tonight.  Keep it in mind next time you get a
good gulp of seawater down at the beach.

	". . . .even along aquatic surfaces, researchers came to realize
only a few years ago that there are far more different types of viruses
present than had ever been suspected, says Jim van Etten of the University
of Nebraska, Lincoln.  Viral particle levels easily exceed 1 million/mL
of seawater. . . ."

				-- Fox, Jeffrey L.  Microbial diversity:
				   low profile, immense breadth.  ASM News
60(10):533-6.  1994.

Bob R. Bogle, MT(ASCP),CLS(NCA)		Voice:   (520) 694-6107
Dept. Clinical Pathology		E-mail:  aguldo at delphi.com
HLA/Immunology Laboratories		The views expressed herein are my own
University Medical Center		and should in no way be construed to
1501 N. Campbell Avenue			represent those of U.M.C.
Tucson, AZ  85724					-- THE MANAGEMENT
                   VVAT -- VOLUNTARY VASECTOMY AFTER TWO!