Prion transmissibility

Duane James Funk umfunk15 at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 11 17:43:03 EST 1995

	I read this Canadian pres article this moring about the
transmissibility of prions.  This statement was made during the Krever
inquiry into Canada's tainted (eg. HIV and HepB and HepC) blood system.
	It seems one Dr. Nathan Kobrinsky said a 'virus' called Jakob
Creutzfeld could be transmitted via blood transfusions.  To support his
point he lists two patients in the US who died of Creutzfeld Jakod
Disease (CJD) without receiving hGH or corneal transplants or the like.

I have seceral quesitons:

1. I assume the paper made an error saying CJD is caused by a virus and
not Dr. Korbinsky not knowing about prions.

2. If I am not mistaken there are familial forms of CJD where the prion
protein gene becomes mutated, correct?

3. Finally, and most importantly, this business about blood
transmission.  From the papers I have read I think to myself 'Not Bloody
Likely' (Pun intended).  Aren't prions transmitted primarily in neural
tissue.

Any comments. answers?

                                Duane
	University of Manitoba; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
                      umfunk15 at cc.umanitoba.ca