The FLU

Steven Poet poets at ccmail.orst.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:54:51 EST 1995

justin at centcon.com wrote:

> >> Influenza is mostly  a respiratory virus, which means if you have diarrhea and vomitting, you don't
> >  have the flu, you have food poisoning.
>

> 	Just a question:
>   So that means that there is not such thing as a "stomach flu"?
>   Then what causes the stomach flu?
>
> Justin

	Essentially, that is correct.  Another post, however, pointed out
that there are some picornaviruses out there that may cause both respiratory
and intestinal clinical signs.  That just goes to show that you can never
say never when it comes to infectious disease or anything else.  Influenza
virus is not a picornavirus and I have never heard of it associated with
gastrointestinal symptoms.
	The "stomach flu" is caused by a large number of different microbial
agents.  These include Protozoa (Cryptosporidia, Giardia), Bacteria (Campylobacter,
Salmonella, E.coli), and Viruses (Rotavirus, Norwalk virus, Calicivirus).
By no means is this list complete.  Many cases of "stomach flu" are contracted
by consuming contaminated food or water.