Ebola Zaire

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Wed Jul 19 10:08:28 EST 1995

In article <3ufug5$385 at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, frog at prairienet.org (Chris A.
Pella) wrote:

> Now from what I had read and thought I understood
> from other journals the virus is eradicated, when it kills its host.
> Which one is it?
>
> Preston's book is confusing me because it seems to be saying
> that if a person dies from Ebola, the virus will wait in the cadaver
> forever for another host to come along.

Chris,

   You have come across one of the shortcomings of both The Hot Zone and
The Coming Plague, they are not scientific text and should not be taken as
such.  If you VERY GOOD information about viruses, you should go to a
library and check out Fundamental Virology by Feilds.  This is an excelent
text.  There may be some things in that book which you will have trouble
with (probably not) but it will give you a much better understanding of
virology.  You will then have the answer to your questions and you might
become interested enough in virology to take a class or even change your
carreer!  If you wish to know about the family Filoviridae (Ebola and
Marburg), you should read The Molecular Biology and Evolution of
Filoviruses (H. Feldman, et.al.)Arch. Virol (1993) [Suppl] 7:101-109.

   I'll let you read for the answer to your questions, I think you would
get a lot more out of a few weeks with a real virology text than a few
moments on the net.

Enjoy!

Don

Don Haut