Virions:Dead or Alive?

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu May 4 03:19:42 EST 1995

To:            Mark Jude Hyman <mh691292 at net.bio.net>
Subject:       Re: Virions:Dead or Alive?

> To me, it's always been more of a philosopical argument.

Exactly.  And one really not worth the effort, except that it gets
people thinking about what they blithely accept as LIFE.  And riles
people like Jim Carrigton B-)  (sorry, Jim)

Whether a virus is
> living or not depends purely on your definition of that term. I prefer to
> expand my definition to include viruses, but thern again, I work with them. :-)

Quite.  So do I.  And if I worked with prions, I'd probably stretch
the definition to include them too....

No more, Jim, I promise...!

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

   "And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
      From the profit he's made on your dreams..."