Ebola virus outbreak in Africa

Francisco Muril Zerbini fmzerbini at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu May 11 14:24:36 EST 1995

On 11 May 1995, Soderlund J Marcus wrote:

> : Here's what was published on the "San Francisco Chronicle" this morning
> : (5.10.95), first page:
> : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> : Outbreak in Zaire - Mystery Virus Kills 56
> : by Laurie Garret, Newsday
> [cut]
> : ...Ebola - a highly contagious disease that can be 90 percent fatal...
>
> Gotta love this. "can be 90 percent fatal..." ;-D

LOL !!! In fact this one sentence has two mistakes: Ebola is not "highly
contagious", since it has not been shown, at least so far, to be air
borne. If it was highly contagious there would be much more than 100
deaths in a city of 600,000.

I posted the article because there was a lot of demand on information
about the outbreak. I take it that everyone here will read it with a
critical eye.

Murilo
| Murilo Zerbini                   | Out of 3,000,000,000 DNA nucleotides, |
| Dep. of Plant Pathology          | human beings and chimpanzees have     |
| University of California, Davis  | 2,999,400,000 in common.              |
| fmzerbini at ucdavis.edu            |                                       |