(Fwd) Emergence

Albert Nanomius nanomius at netcom.com
Sat May 20 14:53:09 EST 1995

one theory about the seeming remergence of viruses is the
idea that the world ecosystem is being stressed as never
before, and that perhaps it is on the breaking point.
one person I know has an interesting theory related
to the earth as a big organism-- namely that viruses
are breaking free of isolated areas due to problems
with the earth's "immune system". the interesting
perspective however is this: are viruses like a
cancer spreading over the planet? or are they in
fact like nature's T-Cells being unleashed to get
rid of a harmful pathogen? does the earth now consider
humans a harmful pathogen? <g>

seriously however I think the "earth immune system"
idea deserves more scrutiny from scientists and
epidemologists.

if the humans have a "earth immune system" it would
be the system of quarantining an affected area. and
we seem to be pretty poor at doing it. furthermore
an agency like CDC would be considered the first
line of defense. I was reading in newsweek how
CDC scientists have to fly on commercial flights
and put up with delays in baggage claims or
metal detectors due to their equipment!! they also
have to end up virtually bribing local airplane
pilots to fly them to sites.

in "Outbreak" there is this view of the virus fighters
as a quasi-military operation. it appears there is
little military involvement. I wonder if virus fighters
would benefit from military resources.

--

/\. |\| /\ |\| () |\/| | |/ _/~ : : : : : : : : : : nanomius at netcom.com
N a n o m i u s : : : : : : : http://www.protree.com/nanomius/home.html
: : : : : : : : : : : :  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/na/nanomius/home.html
: : : :  http://morra.et.tudelft.nl/~nijweide/mirror/nanomius/home.html