time to moderate bionet.virology

Benoit_Hebert at IAF.UQUEBEC.CA Benoit_Hebert at IAF.UQUEBEC.CA
Tue May 23 08:04:22 EST 1995

traveler (traveler at neosoft.com) wrote:
> Mr. O'Neal,
> I was hoping you could help me by answering a few questions
> about virology as a profession.  I've been reading
> bionet.virology for a while now and I am under the impression
> that you are a virologist or molecular biologist (actually I'm
> just guessing).  And you seem friendly enough perhaps to offer
> some guidance counseling to an undergrad at University of
> Houston.
> I have been interested in disease since I was in 8th grade and
> I knew even then that I wanted a career that would study the
> innermost boundries of human understanding.  I also have a
> mission in life to help alieviate some human suffering.  I'm
> not a nutcase, just very curious and dedicated.
> Fred Murphy of the C.D.C. said that a virologist can choose one
> of three fields of research:
>     1. molecular biology
>     2. pathology
>     3. epidemiology

These are only ways to attack a problem... You can use molecular
techniques to collect data and use that for epidemiological studies
or you can study the pathology of viruses at a molecular level.

> I'm having trouble deciding on one of the three. I was hoping
> you could add to the information I'm collecting.

Then don't! Start by doing a M.Sc. degree in Virology. Make sure you
get to use different techniques (Molbio, cell cultures, some immunology).

> 1. If you are indeed a scientist, what is your field of
> specialty? (If not, please disregard this annoyance entirely
> and I apoligize for taking your time.)
> 2. Where did you attend school and would you recommend it to
> others?
> 3. If I may be so nosy, what are you working on now?
> 4. Have you found the politics of funding to affect your work
> adversly?

Good luck!

Benoit Hebert

Benoit_Hebert at iaf.uquebec.ca

Virology Research Center
Armand-Frappier Institute, Laval, Quebec