Living virus?

Terry Grissell tgrissel at mail.newcastle.edu.au
Mon Aug 31 16:40:22 EST 1998

Trond Erik wrote in message
>I know that virus is not a living organism, but is it still normal to
>refer to a functionable virus as "living"?
>The reason for this question is some quotas I've read in newspapers.

There's an old saying: "Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper"
The only group less scientifically-literate than politicians are
journalists. It's a global phenomenon. A good quote or sound byte is all
they want, not facts. Viruses are NOT living organisms. The usual definition
of life = ability to self-replicate. If you added "using non-self templates
or factors" then you could say viruses are living.