slides

Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au Kylie.Shanahan at ffp.csiro.au
Fri Oct 24 10:49:43 EST 1997

Muriel wrote:
>A big problem with the white on blue slides is that they fade over time.
>There's noting funnier than seeing someone present a talk with obviously
>old and obviously new slides! ML
>
>Muriel Lederman           lederman at vt.edu     540.231.5702 (phone)
>Department of Biology                         540.231.9307 (fax)
>Coordinator, Biological Sciences
>   Initiative
>Virginia Tech
>Blacksburg VA 24061-0406

I guess you're all talking about diazo slides - blue film on which you can put
white text.  In addition to them fading, they're also fairly dangerous to
produce, as the chemicals involved are pretty nasty.  The botany dept. of
the last uni I was at produced their diazos in-house, and we were actively
discouraged from using them.  We were told that if we liked the white-on-blue
contrast, we could make them up in Powerpoint and run them through the film
recorder, which was fractionally more expensive but better for the health of
our long-suffering photographics lab staff.  Diazos were only used when there
wasn't time to process a slide through the film recorder.

Cheers,

Kylie.

"I'm sure John Howard thinks of the stolen generation
as those cricket tests that Bradman would have played
 in had the war not got in the road"
with many thanks to Russell Kelly for the quote.