Presentations/Soft-spoken women

Phoebe Rice price at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Oct 28 20:14:56 EST 1997

Practice helps.  Fortunately fairly early on someone had the guts/kindness
to point out that nobody past row #1 could hear a word I said.  I find I
can make a conscious effort to raise my voice to a "hearable" level, but it
took some time to get over the feeling that I'm yelling at the audience.
Also if there's no mike I try to remember to ask at the beginning and half
way through if the back row can hear me.
I suspect some people have voices that naturally don't carry well, and it
gets compounded by the otherwise polite inhibition against yelling at people.

				Phoebe Rice