Will X-PLOR run on R10000?

Jon Leech leech at cs.unc.edu
Wed May 15 00:41:47 EST 1996

In article <slrn4pie8r.v9.dek at lc2.ucsf.edu>,
David Konerding <dek at cgl.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>Why do people use SGIs for compute-intensive processes?
>They are graphics machines. R10000 is awfully slow.
>Get yourself a DEC Alpha.

show a 195 MHz R10000 Power Challenge running nearly twice as fast as a 266
MHz EV5 Alpha. I guess that's a 21064, but even so. Do you have some MDBNCH
figures, or better yet a real production MD code, to compare the two chips
in real systems?

    Entirely aside from the fact that SGIs have the virtue of placing
excellent graphics in the same machine, and yes, DEC has some semi-decent 3D
hardware, and no, they do not offer "excellent graphics" in my highly biased
opinion.

    Jon
    __@/