Will X-PLOR run on R10000?

Omar G. Stradella omar at boston.sgi.com
Mon May 20 11:38:58 EST 1996

marilyn yoder wrote:

> SGI's may be 'graphics machines', but they also do a very nice job on
> compute-intensive processes.  and there is no way i'm going to maintain a
> hetergeneous workstation environment if i don't have too.  i have limited
> resources for such.
>
> marilyn yoder

Marilyn,

You are right. People who still think that our machines are only for
graphics, are out of touch with reality.

To answer your question, R4400 or R8000 versions of X-PLOR run on R10000
machines. I'm working at optimizing the code for R10000 processors right
now.

Omar.

> >In article <9605141043.ZM14623 at viewer.bls.umkc.edu>, "marilyn yoder" wrote:
> >>We are in the proccess of puchasing an
> >> Indigo2 Solid Immpact computer.  It will
> >>initially have an R4400 chip.  We're considering
> >>purchasing an upgrade to the R10000 chip.
> >>
> >>Will X-PLOR run on the R10000 chip?
> >
> >Why do people use SGIs for compute-intensive processes?  They are graphics
> >machines.
> >R10000 is awfully slow.  Get yourself a DEC Alpha.
>
> --
> Marilyn Yoder                                   phone:  816-235-1986
> School of Biological Sciences                   fax:    816-235-5158
> Division of Cell Biology and Biophysics
> University of Missouri-Kansas City              e-mail  myoder at cctr.umkc.edu
> 5100 Rockhill Rd
> Kansas City,  MO  64110-2499

 Omar G. Stradella, Ph.D.                         Silicon Graphics, Inc.
 One Cabot Road, Hudson, MA 01749            Supercomputing Applications
 E-mail: omar at boston.sgi.com                     Computational Chemistry
 Phone:  +1-(508) 567-2258                    http://www.sgi.com/ChemBio
 FAX:    +1-(508) 562-4755         http://reality.sgi.com/employees/omar
+--------  Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn  ---------+