methylene blue

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Thu Dec 7 10:24:29 EST 1995

I have no experience with methylene blue staining.
However, would phloxin B help?  pombe folk use phloxin B (aka magdala
red) to stain cells on plates;  it's a vital stain and the sicker
the cells, the more slowly they get rid of it.  Therefore dead cells
are a deep red, healthy cells are pale pink, and those in between are
in between.  cerevisiae people dont usually use it and I dont
know if it works for Sc.  Phloxin B can be added to min or rich agar
(after it has cooled to 55*C).  We keep a 10mg/ml (2000x) stock in
water, filter sterilized and foil wrapped.

susan

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg