Gal promoter overexpression

Richard John Brennan brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 5 20:40:13 EST 1995

Thanks to everyone who replied already. We've had many offers
and will probably be using a GAL1-10::lacZ construct which
should be perfect.

As an aside, apparently overexpressing actin is lethal to yeast
(thanks to Tim Doyle (doyle at genome.stanford.edu) for that info).

Richard

Richard John Brennan (brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu) wrote:
: Dear Yeasties

: I'm looking for a plasmid containing "a gene" under Gal promoter control.
: The specific gene is unimportant though the protein ideally should
: have nothing to do with DNA metabolism, metal binding or oxidative stress
: defense. Actin would be an ideal candidate, almost anything else would
: be condidered.

: We want to overexpress a non-specific protein as a control for an
: experiment where we have overexpressed antioxidant proteins and observed
: protection against heavy metal toxicity. Non of our in house
: constructs could stringently be described as "non-specific unfortunately.

: If you have a suitable construct and would be willing to let us have
: some for our work then we'd be very grateful. We'll aknowledge you
: in any resulting publication of course.

: Our experiment uses two genes and the bidirectional gal1-10 promoter, if you
: have anything using this system even better, if not it's not too important.

: Thanks in advance

: Rich
: Richard J. Brennan                               brennan at mbcrr.harvard.edu
: Molecular and Cellular Toxicology
: Harvard School of Public Health
: 665 Huntington Ave.                              (617) 432 0350
: Boston, MA 02115                                 (617) 432 0377 (FAX)
: "History would be an excellent thing if only it were true." (Tolstoy)