Chromosomal DNA isolation

Hoffmacs Hoffmacs at HERMES.BC.EDU
Thu Sep 21 12:33:20 EST 1995

Dear Igor,
Check out Gene 57: 267-272 or Current Protocols in Molecular Biology
(Supplement 24) for the Smash & Grab protocol.  It gives reproducible amounts
of DNA for multiple cultures in 45 minutes.  You can light up bands up to 20
kb in Southerns with it.  It is not useful for intact chromosomes.  If you
don't have access to the protocol, I can post it.
Charlie Hoffman
"I'd rather be fission."

Dear yeast netters,

I would like to try simple method to isolate yeast chromosomal DNA
without use of enzymes (lyticase or zymolyase etc.). This shoud be
done as part of practicle course for students to compare several
methods. Can anybody give me some refference, or simple protocol ?

Dr. Igor Zeman
Department of Biochemistry
Faculty of Natural Sciences
Comenius University