(no subject)

hellmuth at embl-heidelberg.de hellmuth at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Mar 7 10:21:16 EST 1996

In article <4hkvcr$dvb at ussun2n.glaxo.com>, Rich Buckholz <rgb12955 at glaxo.com> writes:
> Does anyone have experience with mating S. cerevisiae in liquid culture
> vs on plates?  Specifically what I am trying to do is mate lots of a's
> with lots of alpha's and want to avoid using lots of plates (even cross
> streaking is too much).  So, I want to try it out with 96-well plates:
> haploids pregrown in wells in selective media, then multichannel
> pipetted to YPD for growth/mating.  Then I can frog them to selective
> plates or media as needed.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

In our lab we have good experience with matings in
liquid culture, the efficiency is even higher in most cases.
You can do it with some cells taken directly from a plate,
suspended in 1 ml YPD and incubated for at least 3 hours
on a turning wheel. Our wildtype strain RS453 is known to
be a good mater. Problems could arise on microtiter wells
because of insufficient mixing.

Klaus Hellmuth
Institut fuer Biochemie I
Universitaet Heidelberg