Yeast Vitality

usmbcfm3 at IBMMAIL.COM usmbcfm3 at IBMMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 22 14:41:28 EST 1996

We are looking for a good, accurate, relatively fast and simple method to
measure yeast quality (i. e., viability and vitality) with respect to the     t
yeas's ability to ferment.

We are currently looking at measuring CO2 evolution on different sugars, but
are concerned with how to measure CO2 production and how to quantitate such
measurements with repect to the yeast. For example, do we add yeast by number,
mass, or volume?  Should we have excess sugar with respect to the yeast and
measure initial rate of CO2 production or have excess yeast and measure time to
end ferment the sugar?

Does anyone have a method and/or know of an instrument to do this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Susan Bromberg