Better B-gal substrate???

Brett Burkholder burkhold at gmm.gen.emory.edu
Tue Nov 19 11:42:35 EST 1996

Daniel Harkness wrote:

> Does anyone have any information regarding a substrate for b-gal
> overlays that might more sensitive that X-Gal?  I remember hearing
> about a substrate that when cleaved, gave a "red" color.  Any
> references or suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Harkness
> harkness at bio.bu.edu

In our liquid enzyme assay we use chlorophenol
red-Beta-D-galactopyranoside (CPRG) from Boehringer Mannheim. It produces
a "Red" color when cleave by Beta-galactosidase.  I dont think it would
work for filter lifts,as the chromophore is soluble in water, but it
works great for the liquid enzyme assay.

Brett Burkholder
Genetics and Molecular Medicine
Emory University