S.cerevisiae progenitors

krhenry NOSPAMkrhenry at sirius.com
Wed Jul 23 02:07:29 EST 1997

Hi Dennis,

Dennis Walker <ansel at hom.net> wrote in article <33D40FE9.2E01 at hom.net>...
> I am not a scientist! I am an amateur brewer trying to recreate
> a medieval beer recipe from 16th century England as closely as possible.
> 	I know it is probably hopeless to try to duplicate the yeast
(snip)

I don't know what you budget is, but you may want to consider going
directly to the  location where the recipe was used.  Taking samples from
the local air may provide what you need.  Of course, this could take quite
a bit of experimentation.  The local microfauna could have changed
dramatically since medieval times.  Combining wild strains with others may
give you a nice result.

I hope this helps.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1378