How many non-protein coding genes in yeast?

J.T. Pronk j.t.pronk at
Thu Sep 10 15:34:00 EST 1998

In a superb genetics textbook ('Genes' by Benjamin Lewin, 1st Ed, Wiley
1983) the term 'gene' is defined as 'the segment of DNA that is involved in
producing a polypeptide chain (= protein)'. According to this definition,
non-protein encoding genes do not exist (I'd be happy to make an exception
for, for example, the 'segments of DNA' encoding ribosomal RNA's).
Even when replacing the word 'genes' in your question by 'open reading
frames' the question is difficult to answer. One might always argue that the
growth conditions under which 'non-expressed' ORFs encode a protein have not
yet been investigated.
jack pronk, delft

Jon Sund Blandfort heeft geschreven in bericht
< at>...