Attitudes to life extension via genetic engineering (fwd)

Harry J. Banaharis bioware at ozonline.com.au
Mon Feb 13 21:22:05 EST 1995

It is a facet of man's evolution that he will soon be able to tamper with
that evolution. Although the process of immortalization may be gradual, ie
initially we will have the capacity to deal with any disease whether
inherent or induced, this may increase human lifespan by up to 20%. This
will be followed by genetic modification/enhancement which will deal with
ageing on a molecular level (once we are able to understand the
mechanics). Interesting research is being performed with the enzyme
telomerase which is predominantly found in immortal cells - cells which
have become malignant or in germ lines (cells of the testes and ovaries).

It may not be for quite some time when man actually changes as a species
by changing his own genome so radically that he becomes immortal as well
as host of other enhancements such as resistance to high levels of
radiation, temperature extremes, gravitational fluxuations and other
concerns of long term spaceflight.
And therein lies the key: if molecular biology technology progresses at a
similar rate to space sciences and physics which should culmiinate in
planetary migration we will not have too many concerns about
overpopulation.

--
Harry J. Banaharis
bioware at ozonline.com.au