Coles and Harris' CoQ10 Study (was Re: A4M Discussion)

Brian Manning Delaney bmdelane at ellis.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:58:16 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950227233436.28647A-100000 at corona>,
Patrick O'Neil  <patrick at corona> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Feb 1995, Brian Manning Delaney wrote:
>> I thought this study was quite interesting. CoQ had no effect on max.
>> life span, but had a fairly significant effect on avg. life span
>> (experimental animals had about a 20% greater avg. life span).
>> Autopsies showed that cause of death was essentially the same for both
>> groups. The effect of CoQ was just to delay the onset of lymphoma. The
>
>The CoQ you refer to...is it coenzyme Q?  If so, then perhaps the fact
>that it is utilized in electron transport and ATP generation might help
>explain greater physical activity (more efficient/proficient electron
>transport?).  If you do not refer to coenzyme Q, then...nevermind.
>
>Would you clarify for me?

Yes, sorry, coenzyme Q10 is the drug/"nutrient" in question. I think
it's quite likely indeed that its role in ATP generation explains the
diff. levels of activity seen between the two groups. But my main
point was that "youthification" may not always mean a longer life
span, in part because the symptoms of aging could be protective in
some way. Ex: some (but not all) studies have shown declining levels
of CoQ w/age in rats. Maybe the slower metabolism this produces
actually slows aging (lower consequent rate of free-rad. production,
etc.).

--
Brian M. Delaney <b-delaney at uchicago.edu> [DO NOT cc: articles to me.]
<bmdelane at midway.uchicago.edu> [Wrists: "Leave unambiguous typos."]