Tasting Chlorophyll

David Haas dhaas at CHI1.UNCFSU.EDU
Fri Feb 23 09:36:26 EST 1996

Dear Plant-eders

     I must say this turned into a much more interesting thread than
I thought it would.   I love topics like this that make you think.  I
tend to agree with those who stated that it would be hard to separate
the taste of the cholorophyll from other plant chemicals found in
leaves.

     It would appear on the surface that this second hand
experiment where students could or couldn't taste chlorophyll doesn't
have much credulity....  Except ......  I had a personal reply from
Keith Cowan  <cowan at hort.unp.ac.za> who said:

 "See review titled " The biogeneration of green odour by green plants" (Hatanaka, A. 1993,
Phytochemistry 34: 1202-1218)."

     Unfortunately,  I do not have access to this journal.   Will
this remain a mystery?   Will  Mary marry John?  Will
John dump Mary?

Dave Haas